Land for Wildlife
Land for Wildlife
The Land for Wildlife (LfW) program is a voluntary property registration scheme for landowners who wish to manage areas for biodiversity and wildlife habitat.
Land for Wildlife encourages and assists landholders to include nature conservation along with other land management objectives.
Land for Wildlife is free to join and is not legally binding. Registration in the scheme will not change the legal status of a property.
Brunswick Valley Landcare is pleased to announce they have taken on the regional provision of the Land for Wildlife scheme for Byron Shire.
Who is eligible?
Land for Wildlife welcomes landholders who:
- Have a property with half a hectare or more of native bushland,
- Are willing to manage part or all of their property in an environmentally sustainable way,
A “working towards” registration category is available to landholders who do not qualify for full registration at the first property visit. Advice will be given to the landholder to help them work towards full registration.
Benefits of joining LfW
- There is no cost and the title of the property is not affected
- Registration puts landholders in touch with like-minded people as well as receiving useful information or invitations to workshops
Landholders who qualify for registration receive:
- a site visit from one of our trained assessors
- a Land for Wildlife sign in recognition of their commitment to wildlife conservation.
- ongoing support and advice through workshops, field days and newsletters.
- the opportunity to apply for a Biodiversity Conservation Trust Conservation Partners Grants. Land for Wildlife members can apply for a grant of $2000 per year for 3 years = $6000 in total.